Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone is Creative

What is your deeply buried gift? Don’t think it’s not down there. It is. Something is going to help it rise to the surface. When I was a child, I dreamt of going to Hollywood and making movies. I remember specifically knowing what it must feel like to do that very thing, although I was in the middle of a rural ranchette in Texas. I carried around a video recorder the size of carry on luggage, which attached to a giant news station style camera, and I made movies. I can think of three or four different films that were lost forever in the 80’s. I remember shooting portraits of my cats sitting alongside cowboy hats, with a little 110 camera, and writing story after story and reading book after book. Talking into an old recorder with an English accent, singing at the top of my lungs as I played the piano. These are the snapshots of my childhood forty years ago. When I graduated from the theatre department at Baylor University, I was not ready emotionally and did...

The Kingdom of Girls

Once upon a time there lived three girls. All were beautiful and  all possessed different gifts. The Kingdom was all aglow with laughter and giggles for many years until one day the King stepped into the cavernous hall and heard nothing.   "Wife!" he yelled."What has happened? Did everyone go into the village?"   "Oh Honey" said the Queen stepping outside of her chamber wearing a bathrobe and her hair on top of her head.  "They're not gone. They're teenagers."   "What in God's name is a teenager?" shouted the King.  "Oh dear." The queen remarked turning up her chalice of wine. "What isn't a teenager?"

Journey to Here

Today I was looking through some photos and came across some of the first pictures I ever saw of the girls in Ghana. I love this picture of Grace. She's got the"weird mouth" face. When she first came home and was over-stimulated, or didn't understand something, she would make this face. This is face I see today! The "mom, are you crazy?" face. It just amazes me how far the girls have come in almost nine months. I remember at the beginning Grace probably understood half of what we said and Mariama would translate for her. After you receive your referral you get to send welcome bags to your kids letting them know about their future family and these pics were taken by another mom who was there when our girls received theirs! I just love their faces.. especially Mariama!! This is me with a friend of the girls, she and her family are amazing and really added to my experience there. It's funny because I really miss the SMELL of Ghana.. the burning trash smel...